Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Interlude to a Travelog




I just stopped at the local supermarket on the way home and quite a few people were gathering. I ran into my World Education colleagues Inbal and Pierre in the parking lot who said that they were there to check out “the happening,” sponsored by the Alliance Francaise. A few local musicians were playing and a kid was breakdancing. I thought no more about it and ran into the store.

I emerged from Shoprite and heard Edith Piaf on the loud speakers. Many more people were gathered, but I didn’t want to keep Victor, my driver, waiting. I found Victor but from the corner of my eye saw a giant backhoe moving—and then noticed someone hanging from the backhoe. Not hanging, but dancing. Ballet dancing with a giant backhoe to Edith Piaf.

It was an amazing, uplifting, wonderful little interlude in downtown Kampala.








2 comments:

  1. I would expect to see something like this on the streets of New York City. Interesting and cool. Thanks Pen.

    ReplyDelete